Friday, December 6, 2013

Memories of Late

The bigger our family grows, the faster time seems to fly. I long for the days when I won't have to change dirty diapers or wake up at the crack of dawn because my boys do or when Kaleb and I can have a vacation - a real genuine vacation. But then I catch myself. THIS is the blessed time the Lord has given us and I want so badly to remember my sweet babes. I've longed for this stage since I was a girl and I am quite certain in 20 years I'd give anything to swing by our little chaos filled house on December 6, 2013.

So, 48 year old Leslie, here is what you would find should you stop by our little house today:
  • Brady would promptly remind you to pray before any and every meal should you forget. Sometimes he decides Mama needs to pray several times before he can eat. And, wouldn't you know it, I am blessed by those prayers? With each prompting I tell the Lord a little more. Open my heart a little wider. If God calls you to be a Pastor I'll tell that story often, I'm sure.
  • Ashton would be sticking his tongue out in every possible direction while smiling that perfect smile with those dreamy eyes. Those eyes are like a cartoon's when he smiles - perfect upside down crescents!
  • Brady would shout from another room "DA!" or "MA!" depending on who he wants at any given moment - thus dashing my hopes of raising children who would call me "Mama" like true southern gentlemen until the day I die.
  • The couch would have clothes on it which you would be more than welcome to help fold.
  • Brady might be in the process of getting the vacuum cleaner or even pushing it around exclaiming "bacbac!" 
  • If Brady is eating food, he'll ask for parmesean cheese or ketchup by sticking his pointer finger out, lowering his voice and eyebrows, and circling the finger over his food while vocally going "uhhhuhhhuhh."
  • Ashton's still nurses and takes breaks every now and again to gaze into my eyes and gift me with that precious smile I referenced earlier. 
  • Brady, should he sneeze, might cover his eyes. Barney tried to teach him to cover his mouth, but he got a little mixed up and I don't have the heart to correct him.
  • Brady is scared of the snow (it snowed today) and as a result needs to be on Mom's lap at all times. At first I love it, but after nap time I am ready to do major housework and am desperate for him to play by himself. I bet 48 year old Leslie would love to sit with 2 year old Brady on the couch all day.
  • Brady climbs on top of Ashton every chance he gets. This used to terrify me, but now I rely on Ashton to let me know if I should be concerned. 99.9 percent of the time, Ashton is smiling all the while. Those brothers get along famously. Except for the other day when Brady hit Ashton in the head with a board book. That was a low point.
  • Brady will protest if you try to immediately pick him up from his crib when he wakes up. He'd rather you come in, sit in the rocking chair and listen to his "stories" or observations ("sat?" while pointing to everything and anything). Once he's ready, he'll let you know. 

So, 48 year old Leslie, enjoy your Hawaiian vacation and your beautiful young adult children. Truth be told, I'd give anything to trade views with you for just 12 hours. Funny how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment