Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mushy Stuff About My Husband


I really love being a mommy. Yesterday I had to hold back my tears when my son smiled that smile of his where it looks like his face isn't big enough to contain it, leaned in, grabbed my face with both hands and brought our faces so close together a bystander wouldn't be able to tell where my face ended and his began.

Seriously, when do you stop being totally enamored with your child? I'm guessing when they start lighting stuff on fire, but even then, look at that face!

I digress.

I've been very diligent about writing all of these moments down in a journal, but I haven't been so diligent in writing down all the moments my heart is filled with gratitude for my husband, which is a shame because I REALLY love being Kaleb Domeyer's wife. Those moments need documentation since marriage ebbs and flows and I tend to lack perspective during the ebbs and appreciation during the flows. (That being said, being married to Kaleb has been ridiculously easy - probably because we got all the big crud out of the way before we said, "I do." Dating was a doozy. Marriage has been a walk in the park.)

So here we go. Mushy moments some of you might want to shield yourself from. Preceded by a random picture from our honeymoon with a really big bear. Romantic, yeah?


The other day, right before bed, Kaleb and I were going over who we needed to pray for. Our list kept growing and growing. I was pretty confident we were going to spend a solid hour on our knees. I was tempted to revise our list, but my hubby (after a 13 hour work day - no joke) forged ahead and we prayed for every single one of those people.  Is it too much information to say I am never more attracted to my husband than when he prays? Probably.

Rebounding from pregnancy has been difficult for me. I recently went through another dip when we stopped nursing and everyone has wondered at one point who was sitting in front of them and where Leslie went. They haven't said anything, but I am pretty skilled at recognizing the Leslie-is-Acting-Crazy-Again look, and no it doesn't deter me. I am sure Jesus is putting some extra jewels on Kaleb's husband crown because of how gracious he has been throughout these crazy hormone dips. This man forgives like no one else I've ever met (face to face) and is so lighthearted when doing so that he makes it easy for me to come to him and apologize - a feat for this woefully stubborn woman.

Most important of all, this man loves our little baby. He always kisses Brady goodbye before he leaves for work and is always fully present when he plays with him. Brady loves him so much that he will lunge for him from my arms the minute he sees him. I'm trying to nurture the "we love reptiles" gene out of Brady as much as I can, but given how much this little boy loves his Daddy I think I'm cooked.


Look at how happy that man is and how lucky that baby (and photographer) is. Love them.

So next time I am ready to burn down the house because Kaleb doesn't close the kitchen cabinet doors EVER, I'm going to choose to dwell on all the wonderful things he does and work on forgiving him for tiny offenses as quickly as he forgives me for the big ones. There. Problem fixed. That was so easy. 




1 comment:

  1. Mushy stuff....wonderful stuff! When do you stop being enamored with your child? I don't think that happens;speaking from my experience being a mom. It is called unconditional love and it is powerful! I love Kaleb, too...for being such a great husband to you and father to my grandson. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete